Friday, August 19, 2011

there's a genie in my kitchen

I have a TON of great meals to catch up on.  I've been so busy in the kitchen that I haven't been blogging frequently enough and I can't wait to share everything with you.  Part of the problem is my lack of dishwasher which is going to be remedied in a few weeks.  In addition to the dishwasher, I'm also gaining a crock pot, bread maker, and more counter space.  I'm beyond ecstatic about all of these things.

My boyfriend told me tonight that I tend to like "variety".  Its true.  And it often gets me in trouble.  I'm known for overstuffing things like enchiladas, omelette... over-topping pizza.  I want it ALL.  I like picking at a million different foods while he's content with eating one big bowl of pasta.

This whole "variety" business is really not cool when you have a tiny kitchen and no dishwasher.  Luckily I'm on vacation and can afford to spend all day in the kitchen (and there's no other place I'd rather be).  This Mediterranean platter ended up being hella cheaper than ordering in or going out.  AND I used up my pizza dough :)

The menu.


Pita (made from left-over pizza dough)
For the pita, I basically just made tiny balls, rolled it out, and baked in the oven for a few minutes.  I also seasoned a few (basil, oregano etc.)   I only had 1 or 2 actually have a pocket.  I think those were rolled out thinner.  Regardless, it tasted delicious.  I do want to try an actual pita-recipe in the future to see if it puffs better than the pizza dough.










Quinoa Tabouli
I used this recipe.  I thought it was great, my boyfriend liked it but thought it was too quinoa heavy.  I might try bulgar next time.  









Roasted Red Pepper Hummus
Basically my hummus recipe with some roasted pepper added.  I use a little less oil since the pepper adds some liquid.  I don't buy jarred peppers (too pricey).  Instead I slice the pepper, spray it with olive oil, and roast in the oven at ~400F for about 20 minutes.

Falafel (fail) 
It was way too crumbly, not sure why.





Perfectly Marinated Grilled Chicken (with cucumber sauce).
This was by far the best marinated chicken I think I've ever had.  I got the recipe here.  I'm really obsessed with the Budget Bytes blog right now so expect it to come up again :). Side note, I used greek yogurt for my marinade.
We dipped our chicken in the cucumber sauce (that was supposed to be for the falafel).  You can find it here.  It was a GREAT combo.

Greens, olives, feta, artichokes, greek dressing
You know, the basics.  I got my dressing recipe here.  Warning: you need to scale it back by a lot so don't be alarmed by the crazy ingredient list.

Feast fit for a genie.  If only I had a genie for the clean up.  :(



No comments:

Post a Comment