Monday, August 8, 2011

Lasagna Zucchini Boats

It was one of those nights where we almost ordered take out.  And then zucchini saved the day.  Inspired by this recipe @ fitsugar, I ended up adding my own touches, mostly because I had things in my fridge that I wanted to use up (including tomato, ricotta, and parmesan...)  

I didn't really know what to expect from my "experiment" but the result was great!  Best part is that these are South Beach friendly (although you might want to use low-fat cheese in that case).  My boyfriend said it reminded him of lasagna so I've named these "Lasagna Zucchini Boats". Makes 2-4 servings, depending on appetite ;). 
Enjoy.


*Warning, As usual, I didn't do much measuring when I made these so most of the ingredients are estimations.  Its also going to depend greatly on the size of your zucchini.

Lasagna Zucchini Boats
Makes ~4 servings
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20-30 minutes

Ingredients

  • 1 large zucchini
  • ~ 1/2 cup low-fat ricotta 
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • Italian spices (dried basil, oregano, thyme)
  • ~1-2 T of Parmesan, grated
  • ~2 T lemon juice
  • ~1/2 cup canned diced tomatoes
  • ~1/2 cup white navy beans
  • ~1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
  • salt & pepper to taste
Directions

1. Preheat your oven to 450° F
2.  Slice the zucchini lengthwise.  Slice each side in half.  Hollow it out.*

3. Put ricotta, garlic, parmesan, spices, lemon juice in a food processor.  Pulse until combined.

4. Scoop the ricotta mixture evenly into zucchini "boats".

5. Evenly top with navy beans and tomatoes.


6. Cook in oven for approximately 20 minutes.  Zucchini should be getting tender.

7. Top with mozzarella.  




8. Bake or broil until cheese is melted and bubbly.  I like mine a bit browned so I broiled mine.




9. Add salt and pepper to taste. 

10. Grab a knife and fork and EAT! 

For nutrition info estimates see here.  Note that these are an estimate as I'm not a careful measurer, but it will give you an idea :)

*I saved the zucchini innards to make zucchini bread.

For more zucchini boat action check out Creamy Zucchini Boats Zucchini Pizza Boats, or get creative!


No comments:

Post a Comment