Monday, August 15, 2011

Bringin' the restaurant home

Eating at home just makes dieting a whole lot easier.   While on SBD Phase 1, I also noticed it did wonders for my wallet.  This has inspired me to strive to be a bit more "frugal".  In the past few days I've even experimented with making my own pita, yogurt, and english muffins. More on that later.  
While trying to save some $$$, I don't want to miss out on my favorite restaurant meals, so I decided to bring it home!
My friend got me HOOKED on Brio/Bravo's Grilled Salmon Salad.  I really wanted to use up the salmon I had in my freezer for this but I didn't have a grill.  That's when I purchased my awesome flattop griddle/grill/pizza pan thing at Target (we've already used it about 5 times in the past week).  Voila!  Grill in my kitchen.


My version of the Brio/Bravo Salad

  • salmon
  • thyme
  • squeeze of lemon juice
  • asparagus
  • greens
  • feta
  • vinaigrette 
  • desired salad toppings (I included onion, tomato, artichoke hearts*, and pita chips). 






1. I roasted the asparagus instead of grilling it.  The grilled asparagus at Bravo definitely tastes better, but for at-home preparation this was much easier and still very tasty.  Simply toss the asparagus spears in olive oil.  Salt & pepper.  Bake in the oven for ~ 45 minutes at 400-425F.  
2. While the asparagus is roasting, fire up the grill.  Sprinkle salmon with thyme, lemon juice, salt & pepper the salmon if desired.  I sprayed a little olive oil on my grill to prevent sticking.  Grill the salmon with skin side up first.  Flip after ~3-4 minutes.  Grill other side for ~ 3 minutes.



3. Supposedly the skin should come off easily.  I experienced some trouble.
4. Toss greens, feta, toppings, and dressing.  Lay asparagus on top, then salmon.









The Brio/Bravo version features potato strings but I'm not a huge fan so I sprinkled some crushed pita chips to add some crunch instead.  I was feeling too lazy to make my own dressing so I used a favorite.. Marzetti® White Balsamic Vinaigrette Dressing and it was great!
Enjoy :)







*Since I'm talking about being frugal, its worth mentioning that I get my artichoke hearts at Aldi.  Only $2.50 and great :)

No comments:

Post a Comment