Thursday, July 28, 2011

A week on the Beach.



Today is an exciting day because I'm officially half-way through Phase 1! I'll be honest, at this point its more about proving that I can do this than it is about losing weight. Sometimes you just need a good challenge. All in all, I'm feeling pretty great (mostly thanks to sparkling water and Chocolate Jello products.)
Before I get to the food... I give you: South Beach friendly hand/foot scrub.
The other night I had a TERRIBLE sinus headache. Instead of napping I decided to turn my itsy-bitsy bathroom into a "spa". Because I'm broke, I decided to make my own foot scrub.
Here it is.
Guacamole Scrub

It's basically guacamole sans the onion, garlic, and tomato. I mixed half an avocado, olive oil, lime juice, and salt. Unfortunately, I discovered I had a small cut on my finger, so it wasn't the best. If you make this, make sure you don't have any open wounds. If you do, maybe just try it without the lime juice. Otherwise it worked great!

Now on to what I've been eating... I'll be honest, I've been experiencing some burn out. I started all strong with ideas etc. But then I ended up with lots of salad in my fridge that needed to be eaten and noticed I was eating a lot of the same foods every day. It happens. Sometimes its just easier to eat the same thing perhaps.
For example, I'm still hooked on portobello egg sammies:

The weird looking thing on the right is Morning Star vegetarian bacon. I LOVE it. You should too, because you can't eat real bacon on the "beach".

My boyfriend wanted to have hot dogs one night (those Niman Ranch ones I've mentioned before). To be honest, these might not technically be allowed. But since they were all beef and hormone free and such, I decided what the hell. My boyfriend bought me green lettuce which he says "look just like hot dog buns". He's so supportive.


It was so filling that I saved my celery and cream cheese sticks as a snack for later. :)

Inspired by the Green Lettuce wrap concept, I made a truly amazing turkey wrap. Unfortunately, I didn't get a good picture of it. I did make it again the next day but this time it wasn't AS exciting. The first time I also had some onion and tomato in there and all the colors made it look super pretty. Alas, here you go:

Turkey Lettuce Wrap
  • Giant green lettuce leaf
  • turkey
  • cucumber
  • avocado
  • tossed the insides with lime juice, salt, and pepper
In order to make quick meals later, I recommend tearing off and rinsing giant leaves from your head of lettuce ahead of time and stack them neatly in a plastic container.
For eating: Start at the crispy part and folding the leafy part up around the filler.
These are quick to make, easy, and NOT A SALAD :)

I needed to use up all the turkey I had left, so I DID end up making a salad one day. But it was pretty good :)


Turkey salad
  • Roasted turkey
  • Mixed greens
  • Oil and Vinegar Dressing (I use Newman's.)
  • bleu cheese
  • Cucumber
  • Red bell pepper

South Beach just wouldn't be South Beach without at least 1 attempt to make




Mock Mashed Potatoes
I used the recipe from the South Beach Diet Supercharged book with a few changes.
You will need:
Cauliflower (~1 head)
~ 1 cup Chicken broth
2-4 cloves of garlic (I roasted mine first)
~ 1-2 T of cream cheese
salt/pepper
  • Chop up a head of cauliflower.
  • Let it simmer in chicken broth (covered) until tender. If you aren't using roasted garlic, cook the garlic with the cauliflower.
  • Put the cauliflower and garlic in a food processor or blender (sans liquid, but save the liquid for later).
  • I also added cream cheese and ricotta. Mine ended up liquidy so I don't recommend adding the ricotta unless its really dry.
  • Add chicken broth to reach desired consistency.









I served mine with shrimp ....










In order to reduce boredom, and because I was getting burnt out in the kitchen, I went out to eat a few times. First, my boyfriend and I went to Chipotle and got a steak salad. For once, I ate my whole bowl. It wasn't as filling without the rice :)







Then yesterday, trusty Mall Friend (who I should clarify is also Grocery Friend, Exercise Friend, Cooking Friend, etc. Friend) and I went to Piada. Piada is a new Chipotle-like Italian chain in the Central Ohio area. We're both obsessed with the Piada logo. Seriously, how cute?


I got a chicken salad. My salad was so huge I was able to eat the other half today.

We also shared some Lobster Bisque. I'm sure Dr. Agaston wouldn't approve of the Bisque but it was too good to pass up. Shh. Don't tell.




















Next, we went to the grocery store and stocked up on diet things. I recommend adding more solids to your cart...



















I've also added exercise this week. Monday I did Nike Training Club (which is awesome btw, check it out) and Tuesday I ran. Currently I'm following this running plan from Self magazine's Running Guide. My hope is to do a 5-10K race possibly in the fall.
That's all for now :)

2 comments:

  1. Nike training club never fails to let me know how out of shape I am

    ReplyDelete
  2. The morning star "bacon" is so delicious. I'm not even veg, but I would much rather eat the fake stuff! SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete