Monday, July 25, 2011

Days 2 & 3 on the “Beach” and a few tips…




Today marks Day 5 for Phase 1! Overall, it’s not too bad. IMO, the first day or 2 were probably the hardest so far.

A few things that have helped:
Jello Sugar-free chocolate pudding – I’m obsessed. And to be honest, even though its sugar-free, I suspect that it’s not actually Phase 1 legal because it tastes WAY too good. I’ve decided not to look into it so go at it at you're own risk. Even my boyfriend said it tasted good and he HATES artificial sweeteners with a passion.
Nuts –Esp. macadamia nuts, who knew they were so sweet?
Peanut butter – I’m a PB addict whether I’m on a diet or not., and it’s surprisingly sweet tasting. I get my PB at Whole Foods from the grinder so it’s just simply peanuts, no added oil or sugar, and its delicious.
La Croix –I’ve mentioned it before; buy it. Orange is my fav.
Green Leaf Lettuce – hot dog bun replacement, wrap replacement etc.
And a few tips:
Concentrate on the diet first and not exercise. The first few days are pretty rough and I think adding in exercise could possibly result in failure. I planned to start exercising today. I’ll let you know tomorrow if that actually ends up happening ;).
Eat often. I’ve noticed I only really crave something starchy when I’m hungry, so stay satisfied.
Snack ideas:
o celery & PB
o mixed nuts
o cottage cheese
o babybel cheese
Rules I’m really bad at following:
FATS. You’re supposed to ration use of oil, nuts, etc (2 T of oil/day, ~ 18 nuts/day). I haven’t been too great at this, esp. because I’ve been eating TONS of salad and I really like nuts. I’ve also been breaking the fat rule with cheese. I don’t trust low-fat cheese, so I just try to not overdo it.
Coffee. I’m pretty sure according to the book you’re limited to 1 cup/day or something. Seriously?!
So on to what I’ve been eating…
Day 2
Breakfast



Muenster, Spinach, and Onion Omelet
Muenster is high in fat, but its my favorite cheese. Sorry Dr. Agaston! J
Lunch

Chicken Salad and LA CROIX!!!
Baking the chicken:
When I made chicken for dinner on Day 1, I popped the remaining breasts in the oven to use later in salads, wraps, etc. Nothin’ fancy.
Spray a baking dish with some oil.
Slice a lemon and lay the slices on bottom of baking dish.
Salt and pepper the chicken and lay them on top of the lemon slices.
Bake for approx. 30 minutes at 350 I forgot about mine and overcooked them. Oops.
I added in some bleu cheese, tomato, onion, and greens for a quick yummy salad!
Dinner

Noodles and Company Med Salad with Shrimp (sans pasta)
Can't take credit for this yummy salad. Who knew you could eat at Noodles and Company on Phase 1? Damn were those cookies tempting though… Find out more here.
Day 3
Breakfast

Logs sans ants & cottage cheese

Yes its true, an egg-free Phase 1 Breakfast. Day 3 and already getting tired of eggs. And let me tell you, I’m a HUGE fan of eggs generally. But I needed to mix it up.
Few pointers here: make sure your PB is free of sugar and crap. As I said before, I use the fresh ground PB, but I’m sure there’s something out there in a jar that’s good too.
I also used low-fat cottage cheese. Makes up for all the other fat, right?
Lunch


My SUPER yummy chicken arugula zucchini fresh mozz SALAD
I’m probably MOST proud of this salad. It was amazing. I used the left over zucchini & chicken from Day 1 dinner.
How to:
Lay down some arugula (yum!)
Pile on the zucchini (remember, mine had some pesto mixed in!) I left mine cold.
Cut up some chicken breast; add that to the heap.
Now add some red juicy tomato.
Now add some fresh mozz. I recommend the fresh mozzarella sticks from Trader Joes. They’re wrapped separately so they stay SUPER fresh. I sliced them up into little chunks. PERFECT for my salad. See what it looks like here.
Last, add a drizzle of dressing (I stuck with my oil and vinegar).
Snack


Greek Yogurt (Fage 0%) & Planters South Beach mix

I actually couldn’t finish this, so my boyfriend finished it off for me. It was the first time he tried this yogurt and he LOVED it. I’ve tried a lot of Greek yogurts, and I always come back to Fage. It’s simply the best!
I also recommend these mixed nuts. No peanuts, and there are macadamia nuts! Love!
Dinner


Bleu cheese salad, steak, and roasted garlic aioli
Salad consisted of simply greens, tomato, onion, and oil & vinegar dressing. I was super hungry so I didn’t waste a lot of time coming up with anything fancier.
My boyfriend made the steak. Mind you, this is the first time either of us has made a steak in years (if ever) so… it didn’t come out great. We seasoned it with some salt & pepper and cooked it stovetop. Mind you it was a lean cut (I can’t even remember the cut!), and we ended up overcooking it, so it came out pretty chewy.
However, roasted garlic aioli pretty much saved the day! Made for a tasty dipping sauce.
Roasted Garlic Aioli – adapted from the How to Boil Water cookbook.
How to:
Roast your garlic. Trim off the top of a garlic bulb (~ 1/4-1/2 inch down).
Drizzle in some olive oil
Wrap in foil
Roast in oven at 425° for about 30 minutes.
Let the garlic cool. (I put mine in the fridge because I was impatient).
Squeeze out the garlic. Mash with a fork. How much garlic you want to put in is totally up to you. I really, really, really like garlic so I think I used about 4-5 cloves.
Squeeze some lemon juice. I used half a lemon.
Mix in some mayo. I totally eyeballed this. I probably used a few tablespoons.
Thanks for tuning in! I’ll be adding my Day 4 and 5 meals soon. Now about that exercise…

No comments:

Post a Comment